Blog

07/02/2018

Chile wins the "Best Adventure Tourism Destination in the World" at the World Travel Awards.

For the second consecutive time, Chile was chosen as the Best Destination for Adventure Tourism in the World, as announced by the Minister of Economy, Development and Tourism, Jorge Rodríguez Grossi with the Undersecretary of Tourism, Javiera Montes and the National Director of Sernatur, Marcela Cabezas Keller, shortly after the recognition of our territory as leader in this category in the 24th edition of the World Travel Awards, the "Oscar awards" of tourism.


The winner was chosen through a direct vote on the World Travel Awards website, where our country has imposed itself on countries such as Australia, Canada, Ecuador, Japan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Thailand and the United States.
Through this recognition, our country consolidates international promotion work, reflected in the arrival of foreign tourists to the country that has doubled in the last 6 years, from 2.8 million in 2010 to 5.6 million in 2016, with an average annual growth of 12.8%.


The award was received by the Chilean government representative in Vietnam, Ambassador Claudio de Negri, on Phu Quoc Island, where the World Travel Awards were held, the prize was awarded in 1993 to "know, reward and celebrate excellence in the industry of tourism ". Today the brand is recognized worldwide and the prize denominated as the "Oscar of Tourism" by The Wall Street Journal.


Tourism figures Nature


Chile has comparative advantages and differentiating elements when it comes to competing as a destination. According to figures from the Research Division of the Under-Secretariat for Tourism during 2016 out of a total of 1,984,890 foreign tourists who entered the territory through the Santiago International Airport, more than half of them declared that the main reason to choose Chile as tourist destination is its nature, landscapes, flora and fauna.


In addition, they point out that the main activities carried out by tourists visiting the country are visits to Protected Areas and land and water activities. During 2016, the Protected Areas received a total of 3,068,184 visitors, 26% of which correspond to foreign visitors while the remaining 74% are national tourists.
In the last 5 years, visits to national parks have increased by an annual average of 11.3%. In the last 5-year period, visits by Chilean tourists increased by an annual average of 11.5% and that of foreign tourists, 10.7% a year.
In terms of impact on the national economy by nature and adventure tourism, during 2016, both foreign and domestic tourists contributed US $ 1,352 million to the economy, equivalent to 15.9% of total tourism spending.


2017 figures
According to the figures of the Studies Division of the Secretariat for Tourism, from January to October 2017 a total of 5,239,950 foreign tourists arrived in the country, which represents a growth of 16.2% over the same period of 2016 These arrivals are equivalent to 93% of the tourists that arrived in 2016 when 5.6 million foreign tourists were counted.


Between November and December is expected the arrival of about 1.2 million international tourists.
According to estimates, a total of 6.4 million tourists would arrive this year and this would mean a growth of 13.5% compared to the year 2016.